Turin city

 

Turin is the main province of Piedmont. Thanks to its 910,461 inhabitants it is the fourth principal Italian city after Rome, Milan and Naples. 
First capital of Italy, from 1861 to 1865, it is one of the major cultural and scientific academic centres, and the country in recent years has shown an extraordinary tourist destination that is transforming the city into a tourism itinerary.


The city, both Roman and Baroque in its architecture, is the base of one of the most important art heritage of all Italy, and it was, at the beginning of the XX century, the cradle of Futurism. 
The twentieth edition of the 2006 Winter Olympics was in Turin. 
Among the best known monuments of Turin there are the nineteenth century Mole Antonelliana, the symbol of the city where the National Museum of Cinema is placed, it is the biggest in Europe. Then there are the Royal Palace, the Renaissance Cathedral of St. John the Baptist where the Holy Shroud is based and the famous Egyptian Museum, second only to the one of Cairo.


At the Savoy Gallery you may see a significant collection of paintings, and you cannot miss a visit to the Palazzo Carignano projected by Guarini and base of the first Italian Parliament. 
At last the imposing Palazzo Madama, geographic and metaphorical core of the city: its oldest portions date back even to Roman times, it was then transformed into a castle in medieval time and in the early eighteenth century it was equipped with a splendid façade by Filippo Juvarra. 
There are many buildings in Liberty style, which make Turin, together with Milan, the Italian capital of this style, and unforgettable are the long strolls under the old arcades, under which there are the most exclusive shops of the city.


Main feature of the city of Turin: the arcades spreading for more than 18 km. About 12km are interconnected. They make Turin unique. The first arcades date back to the Middle Ages. The building of the monumental arcades still present today could be traced back to the XVII century. We find arcades around Castle square and San Carlo square. The ones we find in Porta Palazzo were erected by Filippo Juvarra while the ones in Palazzo di Città square were erected by Benedetto Alfieri. The arcades in the Vittorio Veneto square, in the Carlo Felice square and in the Statuto square, date back to the XIX century. 
The arcade which joins Castle square to Vittorio Veneto square on Via Po through the left side, also keeps on crossing the streets in order to enable the king to rich the Po river without getting wet even in event of rain.

pag mole

pag castlee

pag egie

pag valee